Project 1 - Field-Aged Cable Testing
The objectives of this research performed on field-aged cable cross linked polyethylene cable samples, removed from service by DSTAR member utilities, were to:
- Evaluate the linkage between impulse duty and insulation degradation in field-aged cross linked polyethylene primary distribution cable.
- Determine if a recently developed partial discharge site detector can successfully assess cable insulation aging.
Tagged: P1-2, P2, Equipment Testing/Evaluation, System Protection, Engineering Guidelines
Project 2 - Semi-Conductive Jacketed Cable Investigation
The objectives of the project were to: 1) investigate the impulse performance of semi-conductive (semi-con) jacketed cable when subjected to impulses from the overhead system, 2) assess the susceptibility of semi-con cable to induced neutral currents during ground strokes, and 3) quantify secondary surge currents caused by nearby ground strokes to the primary semi-con cable circuit.> Read More →
Tagged: Equipment Testing/Evaluation, P2-2, Engineering Guidelines, P2, System Protection
Project 3 - Switching Surges in Underground Distribution Systems
Field tests, augmented by simulation studies, were performed to:
- Characterize voltage transients generated by routine cable and capacitor switching operations.
- Compare the performance provided by different switching devices.
- Generate guidelines for switching practice and arrester application which can minimize switching surge overvoltages applied to underground distribution systems.
Tagged: P3-2, P2, Equipment Testing/Evaluation, System Protection, Engineering Guidelines
Project 4 - Ferroresonance Guidelines for Modern Transformer Applications
Based on extensive field tests, this research had the following objectives:
- Characterize ferroresonant behavior when grounded-wye padmount transformers are switched.
- Develop formulas for estimating ferroresonant overvoltage magnitude as a function of transformer and cable parameters.
- Provide detailed guidelines specifying the maximum cable length which can be switched with a given transformer without exceeding a critical overvoltage magnitude.
Tagged: Equipment Testing/Evaluation, System Protection, Engineering Guidelines, P4-2, P2