Cable Electrical Parameters Software (CEPS)
The Cable Electrical Parameters Software (CEPS) provides convenient calculation of underground cable parameters. A highly graphic user interface allows easy usage.
The user specifies the cable construction (conductor size, stranding, insulation parameters, neutral type and design, etc.), as well as the cable installation parameters (duct spacing, duct size, trench width, etc.), and CEPS determines a wide range of cable electrical and physical parameters, including:
- sequence impedances
- charging current
- voltage regulation
- short-circuit current capability
- overall dimensions
- ampacity for directly buried, CIC, and duct bank instalations
- ampacity in U-Guard and conduit risers
For three-phase cable runs, the program also calculates sequence impedances where a separate neutral conductor is installed.
CEPS presently covers primary cables with:
- drain wire
- tape shield
- longitudinally corrugated neutral constructions
- secondary cables
- three-phase sectored PILC primary cables.
Purpose and Value of CEPS
Simply stated, the purpose of CEPS is to calculate all relevant cable electrical parameters based on a set of user inputs. User inputs include, but are not limited to, cable dimensions and materials, cable layout, and cable operating conditions.
CEPS will help an engineer determine cable sequence impedances for fault calculations and coordination of protective schemes. Also, CEPS will permit quick and easy comparison between cable manufacturers and cable designs.
In short, CEPS is a valuable tool because it:
- Automates a time consuming process
- Handles many cable types and configurations
- Provides quick and accurate results without table look-ups
- Allows the user to easily perform parametric sensitivity analysis
- Offers conveniently formatted printed and electronic output
- Does not use complicated database structure
- Consolidates many calculations into one simple to use program
- Uses a Windows standard toolbar and menu bar
Engineers familiar with manually performing cable calculations will be happy with the flexibility and robustness of CEPS.